Wednesday, August 19, 2009

the power of words...

This morning I woke up to an e-mail from one of my teammates who is on furlough in the States. This e-mail happened to contain one of the most meaningful compliments I have ever received and it got me to thinking just how powerful our words can be...both in a good way and a not so good way!

God has entrusted us with quite a weapon by giving us a mouth and a voice... or perhaps even a pen and paper or a keyboard.

Think about the last time someone said something nice about you or to you. Didn't it make you feel extra special and valued? Then think about the last time you heard someone say something nasty about you, to you, or even about or to someone else. It probably made you feel quite awful and belittled right? What a contrast... the difference between the way nasty words can make you feel and the way sweet, encouraging words can make you feel is incredible.

And I was also thinking about how words have the power to stick with you for a long time... sometimes even forever! Think about the potential you have to impact someone's life just by something you say... again it can be positively or negatively.

I'm sure there's lots that could be said about this subject but today I just wanted to challenge you (and myself) by asking you how you've been using your words lately... have you been using the power of your words to build others up or tear them down? What can you say today that might make someone's day?

Choose your words wisely and take the time to think before you speak!

No comments: