Friday, August 21, 2009

Karaoke...

Well... I did it! I survived my first Japanese karaoke experience! (actually first karaoke experience anywhere!) Yumi has been asking me for months to go with her but I have put it off, using the excuse that I am busy. She knows how deathly afraid I was of karaoke so she tried to secretly plan a karaoke evening tonight, but I figured it out before tonight...

I had told her we needed to spend some time together doing something fun because we haven't been able to really 'hang out' for a couple of months now. I left the planning up to her and she later told me we'd make dinner together, then go watch her friends play badminton and then we would "go somewhere" with her friends. I asked her where we were going and she said it was a surprise... I knew exactly what she was going to make me do as soon as she wouldn't tell me!

Anyway, tonight went as planned and I finally had to give karaoke a try! Yumi was really good about not forcing me to sing and I actually had it pretty easy since they were selecting mostly Japanese songs. But, after a while she decided to put on 'My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion, handing me the second mic in hopes that I would join in. We had sung that song together in her car one time so she knew I could "sing" it. About half way through the song, I decided to just go for it... and I actually sang! (terribly though!) I'm sure I would have made Celine proud, representing Canada with her! Yumi was so delighted so it was worth the embarrassment!

The friends that Yumi brought with her were hilarious! They were a newly married couple and the girl LOVES karaoke and she seriously made me laugh the whole time she was singing! She just put her heart and soul into every song! Apparently she's even more enthusiastic when she drinks! Here's a sample of my evening....



Here's Yumi and I singing together... (I'm not sure which ones are posed pictures and which ones we were actually singing in)



Here's Naomi and her husband being the stars of Titanic as we were singing!

No comments: