Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!!


I think this offically makes me the ultimate nerd... but this is my way of saying Happy Thanksgiving :) I heated up some of my leftover homemade chicken noodle soup (yes, it's been in the freezer for a while but it's been too hot to eat soup until now!) and I'm pretending it's my turkey dinner so I thought I'd post a picture of my Japanese Thanksgiving experience! and yes, in honour of true Thanksgiving tradition, I completely filled my stomach and ate that whole container of soup!

Since moving away from our extended family in Nova Scotia in 1995, Thanksgiving has never really been an extravagant holiday for my family... but we do enjoy it and make it special in our own way. We usually just have a lazy relaxing day watching movies or playing games and Mom usually makes a turkey dinner with the works. We almost always end up having company over, usually friends from work or church and usually people who can't be with family for Thanksgiving, (Mom figures if you're making that much food you might as well have people to enjoy it with!) which I love...even though I never enjoyed the massive mountain of dishes afterwards! (Although I have to say my Dad is super good about jumping in an helping as soon as we start cleaning up the kitchen)

My ever thoughtful teammates offered to make a special dinner tomorrow, but since they're busy and because Thanksgiving really isn't that important to me, we've come up with some different plans which I am looking forward to!

Tomorrow is actually more than Canadian Thanksgiving for me... it also marks 8 months since my arrival in Japan! I can't believe how fast time is flying! But, I do feel like I've been here forever and like I just arrived at the same time! It's sad to think about the fact that I've only got 3 1/2 months left here now... but I can't dwell on that too much and I need to just enjoy my time here while I can! And besides... at this point I do plan on returning in the next few years!

Speaking of enjoying life here... tomorrow is a national holiday here too so we've made plans for a special "Friday Night" tomorrow. We're going to hike up a mountain and have a little picnic together and maybe play some games! It'll be an adventure I'm sure! and I'm sure I'll quickly find out just how out of shape I really am!

Anyway, let me know what your plans are for Thanksgiving this year! Hopefully the snow hasn't affected your plans too much! (those of you in Saskatchewan and Manitoba!) Send me pictures of the snow!! I saw on the CBC Manitoba website today that you got quite a dump of snow!

2 comments:

Bobby said...

You told us Thanksgiving isn't important to you, but this blog tells a different story! I hope we can make a special day for you :) I can't guarantee any turkey though...

Hillary said...

hmmm well I guess I am kind of contradicting myself a bit... I think what I mean is that the actual day itself isn't that important to me... I just like the quality time with my family!
I thought of that as I wrote this, but I didn't write it to make you guys feel gulity... don't worry about it! I am sure our day will be special tomorrow! You guys are family to me now so it will be special... minus the turkey! I really appreciate your guys' efforts to make it a special day for me! :)