Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Everything...

Today I've been working on some adminstrative stuff on "my computer" (techincally it's Bobby's but he's given it to me to use since mine crashed in October) and I've been listening to music. One of the benefits of a borrowed computer is "new" music :) I've been enjoying a new variety of music and today one song in particular stood out to me so I wanted to share the lyrics...

"Everything" by Bebo Norman

When day is over I'll be the color in the sky
If darkness lingers I'll be the flame that gives you light

I just want you to notice
I just want you to feel the same
I just want you to notice
That I just want to be your everything
I just want to be your everything

On my shoulder
There is a place for you to cry
I'll be your shelter
When there is nowhere left to hide
Sometimes I see you cry
When you watch the sun go down
You're magical, so beautiful, and I...

just want you to notice
I just want you to feel the same
I just want you to notice
That I just want to be your everything
I just want to be your everything
When day is over I'll be the color in the sky

For some reason I really like this song. I guess it was a good reminder to me of how much God really loves me and more aware of how He shows me that. How often do I (we) go through life just so busy, not taking the time to simply tell God we love Him. He does so many things to get our attention... especially in the simple things like a beautiful flower or a gorgeous sunrise or sunset... but do we really take the time to notice them, and notice His hand in them?

I'm just as guilty of this as the next guy, allowing myself to get caught up in the busy-ness of daily life (especially being in full time ministry!) so this song was a good reminder to me to take some time and tell God how much I love Him and how grateful I am for His love.

It's amazing what human relationships can teach us about God. I've been thinking a lot lately about how much it means to me to hear someone say they love me, or do something to show me they love me. I think all humans desire/need to be loved and be reminded that they are loved. Not that God "needs" us to tell Him we love him, but I've been reflecting on how it makes God feel when I show Him/tell Him that I love Him... I imagine that it's impossible for me to say or show it too many times and that He will never get tired of me telling Him or showing Him that I love him. I like thinking about how much joy it brings to God when I use those three little words for Him :)

When was the last time you told God you love Him? Take some time today to notice the ways He shows you that He loves you... and thank Him for those things! :)

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Sometimes it is good just to pray 'I love you' to the Lord. As you said, I think it is pleasing for Him to hear, and it is a good reminder for us. Thanks for sharing your spiritual insights with us :)